- DAW (Digital Audio Workstation/ Audio Editing/ Song Making Software)
- Audio Interface
- Studio Reference Headset
- MIDI Keyboard (With MIDI Controller Pads, Knobs/Faders)
- Microphone Stand
- Pop Filter
Lets discuss these Home Recording Studio Equipments briefly now!
This is the Heart of a recording studio. You can’t do any thing in recording music without the computer. The computer may be Laptop or PC. It can be Windows based or Mac based. You should choose a computer with atleast following minimum specifications:
- Processor: More powerful is more better
- RAM Slots: Atleast 2 should be there
- RAM: At least 4 GB (Recommended 8 GB)
- Hard Disk Space: At least 500 GB (Recommended 1 TB)
- USB Slots: At least 5 (for Audio Interface, MIDI Keyboard, External Hard Disk for additional back up, Keyboard, Mouse) (3 of them should be High Speed USB)
- Cooling Fan: More powerful and More quieter
Depending upon following needs you can look on this Laptop: Acer E5/573G(5th/Ci5/8GB RAM/1TB HDD/2GB Graphics/15.6″/DOS)
Click Here to see the price of the above given laptop for home studio recording!
#2 DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
This is also called the music making / audio editing software which you use for recording and mixing your songs. There are many free softwares in the music world like Audacity. But, if you are serious then you should consider a paid software. Some good examples for budget DAWs for home recording studios are Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Sonar, Nuendo etc. It all depends upon the user that which software is good for him. Sometimes you can also get the audio editing software free with your interface or recording studio bundles.
If you want to get free DAW with the audio interfaces then you can purchase Focusrite Studio Bundle with 2i2 Interface! You will be most likely getting a Free Song Making Software with this interface! If you want to know the price of Focusrite bundle then you may click here!
#3 Audio Interface
This is also one of the most required device among home audio recording equipments. This ensure the premium quality of the recordings at your budget home recording setup. This is used to send the analogue signals of the vocals into digital form to the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). You should consider the following specifications before buying an interface for your home recording studio setup:
- Type of Connectivity with Computer
- Number and Types of Input and Output
- Supporting Sample Rates
- Phantom Power
- Direct Monitor
- Clipping Indicator
Confused about the exact model of the Audio Interface? Look at the Focusrite Solo Audio Interface which is very nice for home recording studio! Click here to know the price of Focusrite Solo Audio Interface!
No great audio recording can be achieved without a descent microphone in a home recording studio. You should consider the following specifications while purchasing the microphone for your personal recording studio.
- Dynamic vs Condenser Microphone vs USB Microphone?
- Connectivity Type: It can be either USB or XLR (XLR will be connected to the Audio Interface)
- Phantom Power: Required for Condenser Microphone (but your Audio Interface should also support Phantom Power)
- Internal Noise of Microphone should be minimum
- Diaphragm Size: Larger size of the diaphragm will have better frequency range and sensitivity but costlier too
Still confused about the exact model of microphone? Look at the Samson C01 Large Diaphragm Vocal Condenser Microphone which you can connect with an XLR cable to the interface! Click here to know the price of the Samson C01 Condenser Microphone.
#5 Studio Reference Headphones
Studio headphones or monitors are very important devices for a song recording studio which is normally less considered by the beginner musicians. You can’t mix a song properly untill you have a decent pair of headphones or studio monitors. You should consider the following factors while purchasing reference headphones or studio monitors
- Why to choose only Reference Speakers/Headphones then normal headphones?
- Reference Speakers vs Headphones
- Types of Reference Headphones
Still confused about the exact model of the Studio Reference Headphones? Look at the Samson SR950 Professional Studio Reference Headphones. Click here to know the price of Samson SR950 Professional Studio Reference Headphones.
#6 MIDI Keyboard Controller
These keyboard are connected to the computer with a USB cable. Whatever we play on that keyboard, it can be directly recorded in our audio editing software or music making software (DAW). This saves a lot of time while doing any music production session.
- Number of keys
- Size of Keys
- Connection Type
- Velocity Sensitive Keys
- Pitch Bend Wheel
- Modulation Wheel
- Transpose Buttons
- Number of Faders or Knobs
- How many Pads are there?
- Number of Faders and Knobs
- Velocity Sensitive Pads
Look at the Samson Carbon 49 MIDI keyboard which you may get in low budget too! Click here to know the price of Samson Carbon 49 MIDI keyboard for your home recording studio!
#7 Microphone Stand
A good microphone makes a recording studio neat and disciplined. And believe me, this also saves a lot of time and makes your song recording process faster. You have to purchase a microphones stand which can withstand the load of microphone, shock mount and pop filter.
You can consider this microphone stand HITUNE-BASS Mic Stand with Boom BIG BMS-101 (1pc microphone holder free). Click here to know the price of HITUNE-BASS Mic Stand.
#8 Pop Filter
This is used to remove all the popping sounds generated from the wind thrown on the mic from the mouth. You have two options for this. Either purchase a separate pop filter with a big round filter or a smaller one which can be mounted on the diaphragm of the microphone.
Get this pop filter which has double layer for preventing popping: Kadence Pop Filter for Microphones! Click here to know the price of the Kadence Pop Filter!
There is no limit for the high priced equipments for your home recording studio but you should choose the home recording studio equipments which are the best in your budget and needs.
If you personally ask my own music recording studio setup then.. here are they:
- Focusrite Studio Bundle with 2i2 Interface, Condenser MIC, Reference Headphones, Cubase(it may change), other free Focusrite and Useful plugins
- A pop filter (Click here to see the price on Amazon)
- Samson Carbon Midi Keyboard
Samson Carbon 49 USB MIDI Controller
49-key velocity-sensitive, semi-weighted keyboard; Compact design, perfect for live performance and studio applications
Assignable Data encoder and Volume slider, Edit key for adjusting up to 14 control parameters, and Dedicated Transpose and Octave buttons, Pitch Bend and Modulation wheels
Includes traditional MIDI Out, Sustain pedal input and USB connections, iPad and USB bus powered, and Integrated iPad slot
Important Links on this Website:
1. How to Connect Focusrite Interface to Computer
2. 8 Essentials for any Home Recording Studio
3. Reference Headphones vs Reference Monitors
4. Best Studio Bundles (All in 1)
5. Best USB microphones to Buy for Beginners
6. Top Microphones for Karaoke Singing
7. 5 Low Budget Audio Interfaces
8. Top 10 MIDI Controllers
9. Best Keyboards for Performing Live
10. How to Setup Home Recording Studio
If you still have any doubts then you may write in the comments below. I will surely reply to them.
Click here to get more suggestions for setting up your home recording studio / professional recording studio!