If you have purchased your Focusrite Scarlet solo or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or higher end audio interface then you need to set up it properly, so that it can work properly in your computer. If you have not purchased it so far, then you can GET IT NOW ON AMAZON.
You can use this Focusrite 2i2 audio interface for either listening songs or for recording and mixing songs in professional audio editing software.
This article will show you that how you can make this audio interface work in your PC. Please read the following, step by step set up, process carefully. If you have already connected this interface to computer and facing any problem, then you should disconnect it before proceeding further.
1. Register Your Interface
After purchasing this audio interface, you need to register this device on the official website of Focusrite. You need to sign up and enter your device’s serial number there after selecting your device. You may also get the free licences of the audio editing software or VST Effects plugins (if provided free with interface). Please follow THIS LINK to register your device.
2. Download the Drivers
After successfully registering your interface to the Focusrite website, you have to download the supporting driver for your device. For downloading the driver you need to VISIT THIS LINK. Then select your device model and click the download button given below. This may be around 5MB.
After downloading Install the driver as per given screenshots:
Restart the computer (After Reading this article :)!
3. Connect Interface to Computer/Laptop with USB cable
Now driver is installed on your computer and all you need to connect the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface to your computer/laptop with USB cable provided with this interface. One end of this cable will be connected to the interface’s back side. Another is just same as a Pen Drive USB plug which you can connect in your PC.
4. Connect Headphone and Microphone
This interface supports 6.3 mm jack headphone, so you may need to use a headphone with 6.3 mm jack. But you can also use your basic earphone of 3.5mm jack after attaching an 6.3mm adaptor which you can SHOP ONLINE HERE. Then you need to connect a mic too. The mic can be connected with either XLR Cable or 6.3mm Jack. Follow these photos for setup:
Now the connectivity is over and we will do some settings in Control Panel to listen the audio through our Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface.
Setting up Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in Control Panel:
- Go to control panel
- Open “Hardware and Sound”
- Go to Sound –> Manage Audio Devices
- Go to Playback
- Identify the Newly added Focusrite Device
- Right Click –> Enable
- Again Right Click –> Set as Default Communication Device
- Similarly Set up Recording Device too
- Play any song in your computer and you should listen the sound through your Interface’s Earphone.
Setting up Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in Audacity:
- Open Free Audio Editing Software Audacity
- Go to Audacity Device Toolbar as shown in the below screenshot
- Right to Microphone icon, select the Scarlett Audio Interface from slide menu
- Right to Speaker icon, Select the Scarlett Audio Interface from Drop Down menu
- Do some recording (if you are connected with mic) or drag some audio sample/song in the audacity work area and play. You should listen the sound through the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 headphone.
Setting up Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in FL Studio
- Launch FL Studio software in your computer.
- Go to Options–> Audio Settings
- On the top most Drop Sown Menu, select the Direct Sound Devices–> Scarlett 2i2 USB
- In the mixer output–> Select Scarlett 2i2
- Play something and you should listen sound through the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface’s headphone.
- Similarly you can also select the input while recording audio in the FL Studio
Setting up Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in Cubase
Please read the steps carefully and follow one by one.
Connecting Interface to Cubase
- Generally Cubase will ask you on the starting up. Select the “Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver”. DO NOT SELECT ASIO here because it will be having a little latency.
- If Cubase does not give options on starting up then go to Menu Bar–> Devices –> Device Setup…
- Go to VST Audio System–> Drop down menu–> Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver
- Pop up menu–>Switch
- Now you can see the changes made in Drop down menu.
- Press OK
- Go to Devices–>VST Connections
- Remove Existing Buses in Input and Output (Right Click on Audio Device–> Remove Bus)
- Now we have two inputs on the interface, so we can either record a stereo track (Left and Right mics together) or two mono tracks. It means we have to make three Buses: 1 Stereo + 2 Mono
Add Audio Buses
- Click–> Add Bus–> Select Count=1–>Configuration=Stereo –>> Give a Name to the Bus–> Add Bus. You can see a bus added there.
- Now add two mono buses: Add Bus–> Count: 2–> Configuration=Mono–>Give a Name to the Bus–> Add Bus. You can see the changes.
- In device port Mono Bus 2, click and select= Input 2 (Right)
- Lets add output Bus too. Add Bus–> Count=1–>Configuration=Stereo–>Give a name to the bus–> Add Bus. You can see an output bus has been added.
- Now close the VST connections Pop up and make a new project by going in File–>New Project. Select any type of project preset or select empty.
- Go to project add track–> Audio–> Add stereo track.
- Go to the left inspector window. Locate the inputs (you will see the name of the stereo bus you have given). Then select the mic 1 or 2 which you have connected in your interface. Click on the speaker button and you must listen what you speak in your mic.
- You can also record by pressing the red recording button and can do the experiments with the inputs and outputs.
If you are still having any problem regarding set up of Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Professional Audio Interface then you may write at the forums at: http://www.musicalmahesh.com/online-music-learning-discussion-forums-community/other-audio-editing-softwares-dawmusic-composing-discussions/
Do write in comments for any assistance. If you want to get more cheaper version of Focusrite then you may also like to Purchase Focusrite Solo from Amazon.
If you want to buy other Audio Interfaces, then you may like to Visit This Page.